Brother Aaron Douglas: "Building More Stately Mansions"



Br. Aaron Douglas, one of my favourite artists, painted this brilliant piece in 1944. To the best of my knowledge, there are no books which collect Douglas' work. What a shame. His use of radiant, interlocking geometries of light and colour is electrifying, amplifying the purpose of his body of work--to dramatise the experience of Afrikans from ancient Kemet (Egypt) to Imentet (the West). I call his style Afriluminism; his paintings are a major source of inspiration for my take on science fiction~fantasy, which I call Imhotep-Hop.

You can read up on Br. Douglas through the website of Harlem's historic Schomburg Centre.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mazisi Kunene's “Thoughts on June 26 (South African Liberation Day)”

BARBARA PERRY ON HOW TO DEFEAT CANADIAN FASCISTS (MF GALAXY 175)

CATHLEEN ROOTSAERT ON WRITING MASS EFFECT, THREE DEAD TROLLS IN A BAGGIE (MF GALAXY 075)